Runners brave cold in Bowman Cup

Sean Daugherty

Runners cross the finish line at the sixth annual Bowman Cup Saturday morning. More than 200 runners participated in the 5K race. The overall winner was Joe McDaniel with a time of 15 minutes and 30 seconds. SEAN DAUGHERTY | DAILY KENT STATER

Credit: Jason Hall

Neither a competing race nor cold temperatures could prevent more than 200 runners from participating in the sixth annual Bowman Cup Saturday.

With temperatures near 40 degrees and the simultaneous running of Race for the Cure in Cleveland, students, alumni, faculty and community members of all ages participated in the 5-kilometer loop race that began at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.

Joe McDaniel was the overall male winner with a time of 15 minutes and 30 seconds, followed by students Kyle Bowman (16:23) and Ryan Montgomery (17:03).

The overall female winner was Jennifer Fascione (18:23), followed by alumna Kim Keenan-Kirkpatrick (18:56) and community member Tracy Meder (19:11).

The race featured several runners under the age of 14, including 11-year-old Libby Bradford and 10-year-old Adam Salberg.

Bradford, who was the top female in her age group last year, finished first in the under-14 age group with a time of 22:11. Salberg was the top male in that category with a time of 22:30.

Bradford, a student at Stanton Middle School, said she has participated in several races this year and plans to run in the future.

“When I’m 20 I want to run in the Boston Marathon,” she said, “and possibly the Olympics.”

Salberg, a student at Suffield, plans to participate in two more races in the next two weeks. His mother Joy said she was impressed with her son’s performance.

“I’ve been running for nine years,” she said. “This is his first (race) and he beat me.”

Participants warmed up inside the rec center with free coffee, hot chocolate and chili while waiting for final results to be tallied. Businesses such as Subway, Ray’s Place, Giant Eagle and Bruegger’s donated cookies, sub sandwiches and bagels.

Runners were given free gift bags and were entered in a raffle for participating.

The rec center held an open house after the race to allow participants a chance to use workout equipment.

Becky Fortune, event marketing assistant, said she was pleased with the day’s event despite the low temperatures and a competing race.

“I’m pretty happy,” she said. “We had a better turn out than last year.”

Contact recreation and wellness reporter Sean Daugherty at [email protected].