Kent State suspends in-person classes over coronavirus concerns

Kent State President Todd Diacon talks about the actions taken on campus to combat the coronavirus. 

Kent State announced it will suspend in-person classes at all of its campuses from Tuesday, March 10 at 4:25 p.m. to April 12 because of the coronavirus. 

In an interview with KentWired, President Todd Diacon said all face-to-face classes are canceled from March 10 to March 13. Online classes are not affected and will continue as planned.

Classes will be held remotely starting Monday, March 16. Spring break will occur as planned and classes will continue online from March 30 to April 10. 

Diacon said the university’s goal is to resume face-to-face classes April 13. He said residence halls and at least one dining hall will remain open, but Kent State “strongly encourages” students to return home if possible. The Kent Student Center and University Libraries will also remain open. 

He said the decision to suspend in-person classes was made “to support Governor DeWine’s effort to dramatically slow the spread of the coronavirus in Ohio.”

Clinical rotations for students in the College of Podiatric Medicine and College of Nursing can continue, Diacon said. Faculty members are able to use their offices and labs, but Kent State asks them to not hold meetings and to practice “good social distancing” by keeping three to six feet between themselves and anyone else. 

Diacon said no decisions have been made in regard to the May 4 50th Commemoration or commencement. 

The university will follow NCAA and Mac conference guidelines in regard to sporting events, he said. A women’s gymnastics meet scheduled for Friday will proceed but with “dramatically restricted attendance,” Diacon said. Outdoor sports can continue. 

Three cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in Cuyahoga County, Ohio. There are no cases associated with Kent State.

Contact Paige Bennett at [email protected]