Changing weather instills various moods, behaviors

Nedda Pourahmady

ILLUSTRATION BY JACLYN CIFRANIC

Credit: Steve Schirra

On a cloudy, rainy day, Kellen Bellis trudged through puddles and walked with his head hung low. There was no sign of sunshine in the sky.

Bellis, a junior human development and family studies major, said there was just nothing good about that day. He said the weather caused him to feel gloomy inside.

Michael Moore, assistant director of the Psychological Clinic, said it’s normal for people to get stressed out or grumpier once the weather gets colder.

“When the weather starts getting bad, people start feeling bad because the two bad things become associated in their mind,” he said.

Moore also said winter months are associated with tests and stress, and the weather can affect the way a student feels and behaves.

“When people become more sad or depressed, they tend to withdraw from the world,” he said. “This might impact their ability to go to class or work.”

Joshua Alexander, senior sports management major, said the changing weather usually doesn’t bother him unless he has to work outside in the winter. However, he said spring is his least favorite season of the year.

“In Ohio, it’s still cold out, and we’re still getting snow,” he said. “The season seems to drag on because you’re waiting for summer to begin. It seems to never end.”

Nate Johnson, senior business management major, said though the weather sometimes gets to him, he always tries to be happy and make the best of the situation.

“Ohio has a little bit of every season and a lot of places don’t,” Johnson said. “I think that’s pretty cool.”

Aside from the gloomy winter months, Moore said students tend to feel less stressed during the summer because warmer weather is associated more with happiness and feeling upbeat.

Alexander said summer is his favorite time of year.

“School’s out, concerts are outside and I get to play softball and flag football,” he said.

In order to combat seasonal blues, Bellis advised students not to let the weather get the best of them.

“If it’s just a gloomy day outside, put on some music that you know will cheer you up,” he said.

Contact student life reporter Nedda Pourahmady at [email protected].