Students to travel to Biloxi during spring, winter break

Michelle Bender

Only 100 Kent State students will be able to register for the next university-sponsored trip to Biloxi.

The Kent State United for Biloxi committee confirmed that number as well as the date and cost of its winter break trip.

Students will travel to Mississippi between Jan. 4 and 11 at a cost of $299 per student. A second trip next semester will take place over spring break, 450 students will be able to register for the spring trip.

The purpose of the trips is to rebuild homes, help with child care and distribute medical aid and food to areas devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

The first Kent State United for Biloxi group traveled to Biloxi in March. The group is hoping to make it an annual occurrence, with trips during winter and spring breaks.

The Rev. Lauren Odell-Scott of United Christian Ministries at Kent State said volunteers will stay in cabins at church camps and will be provided with beds, showers, rest rooms and common areas to relax. Volunteers will need to bring sleeping bags and pillows with them.

“Last year (the volunteers) were in tent villages with port-o-potties, so this is a big step up,” Odell-Scott said.

Registration dates have not been released yet, but informational meetings will take place at:

• 10 a.m. Tuesday in Room 313 of the Student Center.

• 6 p.m. Oct. 18 in Room 315 of the Student Center.

• Noon Oct. 26 in Room 315 of the Student Center.

For more information, contact Pamela Jones at (330) 672-9292.

Contact undergraduate offices and graduate affairs reporter Michelle Bender at [email protected].