Student left behind aspirations, friends say

Victoria Hunt titled her first and last MySpace blog entry, “Things to achieve.”

She wanted to visit Paris, Tokyo and Italy. She wanted to read the whole Bible. She hoped to graduate from college.

But Victoria, an 18-year-old freshman Kent State student, died in a car accident Sunday morning. She was on her way home to visit family and friends in her hometown of Orrville when her car veered left of center on state Route 585, striking an oncoming vehicle.

Sophomore psychology major Samantha Haynie was with Victoria the night before she died.

Friends since the beginning of the semester, Victoria, Haynie and others went to the football game Saturday.

Victoria didn’t look like she’d fit in, Haynie said. She looked like a punk rocker, with multiple tattoos and piercings.

“She went to the game and she was the biggest cheerleader, holding up signs,” Haynie said. “We had a lot of fun that day.”

Despite her punk image, Haynie, who lived down the hall from Victoria in Koonce Hall, said she loved pink, Justin Timberlake and cutting hair.

Among the goals on her list of would-be-achievements, Victoria wanted to get her cosmetology license and to become a makeup artist. The fashion design and merchandising major was already on her way.

Victoria studied cosmetology at the Wayne County Schools Career Center in Smithville, Ohio. She graduated from the center and Orrville High School this year. She set up a makeshift salon in her residence hall, cutting her neighbors’ hair. She even posted a sign on her door advertising free haircuts.

“Anyone who wanted a haircut, she’d cut it,” sophomore exploratory major Jessica Brookhouser said. “She always had her door open.”

Victoria was an honest, outgoing individual, Brookhouser said.

She enjoyed lip gloss and loved the TV show “Project Runway.” Her favorite cast member was Michael.

Brookhouser said she’d post a comment on Victoria’s MySpace tomorrow, letting her know who won that day on “Project Runway.”

“She’s still with us,” Haynie said.

Calls placed to Victoria’s mother, Joanne Slease, were not returned.

Arrangements are being handled by the Roberts Funeral Home Sherwood Chapel in Wooster. A celebration of life ceremony is planned for 4 p.m. Sunday at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship at 344 North Columbus Ave. in Wooster.

Online tributes can be posted at www.robertsfuneralhome.com.

Contributions can be made to The Victoria M. Hunt Scholarship Fund at the Home Savings Bank at 142 North Water Street.

Contact student politics reporter Kali Price at [email protected] and safety reporter Steve Bushong at