Dining Services’ marketing manager leaves Kent State

Noelle Pennyman

Eugene Walters, marketing manager of University Dining Services, is leaving Kent State.

Walters said he will be the new marketing manager of Temple University in Philadelphia. His last official day will be Thursday.

He said what he will miss most about Kent State is the people.

“That’s the hardest thing about this. It’s nothing like the people that I’ve worked with,” he said. “We are a team, we worked together. I’ll probably never find another team more supportive of one another.”

Walters said he graduated from Kent State in May 2003. He was hired as the marketing manager in March of the same year.

He said he accepted the new position at the end of September. He posted for the position and went through the screening process. Afterwards, Temple University flew Walters to Philadelphia for an in-person interview. Temple University offered him the new job two days later. He said he took almost two weeks to decide on taking the job.

As part of his responsibilities at Temple University, Walters said he will help support other universities such as Rowan University, William Paterson University, New Jersey City University and Montclair State University.

Another thing he will miss about his job, Walters said, is working with students.

“I love working with student groups because everyone has different ideas, and I love to see them get excited about their ideas, and I like to assist in their ideas as much as possible,” he said.

Andrea Spandonis, director of University Dining Services, said she has known for some time Walters would be leaving the university.

She said Walters signed a contract for two years when he was hired, after which he could look for another position.

“The reaction was one of sadness for us at Kent but of gladness for Eugene because now he needs to hone his skills at a different environment,” she said.

Spandonis said the position of marketing specialist is now posted. She said the department is open to hire students who are interested and qualified for the position.

She said the applicant needs to be someone who has energy, excitement, computer skills and creativity. She also said the person needs to be able to connect with the students and the community.

It’s more important for the department to find the right person for the job rather than finding someone quickly, Spandonis said.

She said it would be better if the person has graduated or will graduate from Kent State.

“I would prefer it be somebody that understands the community and has worked here,” she said.

Spandonis said among Walters’ many accomplishments, he started the official University Dining Services Web site. He produced all of the advertising for any of the department’s events and maintained relationships with the various campus departments.

The department held a farewell dinner for Walters on Monday in the Schwebel Garden Room.

“It’s more for the other people,” she said. “People like to say good luck and congratulations.”

Contact room and board reporter Noelle Pennyman at [email protected].