A night in the line of duty

Steve Bushong

Veteran KSU cop talks about his experience patrolling the campus beat

Kent State police officer Jeff Futo patrols campus last Friday night. Futo was recently recognized by his peers as employee of the year. AMANDA SOWARDS | DAILY KENT STATER

Credit: John Proppe

Officer Jeff Futo was in his patrol car, windows down, looking for anything out of the ordinary.

It was Friday night, about 8:30 p.m., and so far, the day and evening had been quiet.

“Yesterday, by this time, it was busier,” he said, as he drove toward the Student Center’s backside on Midway Drive.

For nine years, Futo’s been patrolling Kent State, starting after his graduation from the university in 1996.

Typically, Futo responds to four or five calls during his 3 to 11 p.m. shift. So far, nothing.

“In this job, I could be driving around, I turn the corner and there it is,” he said.

This year, Futo won employee of the year, a recognition of excellence by Police Chief John Peach, for which he was nominated by co-workers.

One anonymous co-worker wrote that Futo has genuine concern for the people he comes across while on the job.

As Futo turned to head back down Midway Drive, a blue SUV pulled up alongside his police car.

A man sitting in the passenger seat shouted, “Hey, I need to talk to you, hold on a second.”

The man, who would be known only as “Viper,” exited the SUV and leaned into Futo’s driver-side window as if he was going to tell Futo a secret.

“My kid called me crying . her roommate’s boyfriend threatened to stab her . I’m going to kick this kid’s ass,” Viper said.

“Let’s try to avoid that,” Futo said suggesting that he and Viper come up with a better plan.

Viper’s daughter lived in Verder Hall, Futo learned, and he suggested that the two talk to the residence hall director.

When Futo and Viper arrived in the parking lot behind Verder, Residence Hall Director Molly West informed the men that Viper’s daughter, Lauren, had been moved to a different room on a different floor.

But Futo had to find out whether Lauren wanted to take further action against her ex-roommate’s boyfriend and whether the situation was thoroughly diffused.

Lauren was missing: Viper couldn’t reach her by cell phone and her floor’s residence assistant couldn’t find her.

For the next hour, Futo trekked up, down and around Verder Hall looking for Lauren and dealing with the coarse boyfriend and his panicked girlfriend.

During Futo’s second trip into Verder Hall, he found the girlfriend lying on the ground crying, short of breath, having a panic attack.

“Just our presence can have a traumatic effect on someone,” Futo later said.

Futo knelt and spoke softly to the student until she was well. On their way up to the her room, she complimented Futo.

“You seem very nice and helpful,” she said.

After some investigative work, Futo tracked down Lauren. She assured her dad and Futo that everything was now all right. She was smiling.

What could have been a volatile situation was under control. Futo returned to his patrol car.

He radioed to dispatchers a code, “33,” meaning he was back in service. He had more than an hour to go until his shift ended.

“Now I drive around and start where I was before,” he said. “I’m not done yet.”

The remainder of the night was as eventful as its beginning, giving Futo time to reflect on his career at Kent State.

“I don’t remember thinking I wanted to be a cop,” he said. “I started off as a flight major.”

Futo said he moved his concentration to criminal justice as the cost of flight school began to weigh in. He has no regrets.

“I like working here,” he said. “I can’t think of a more fun profession.”

Since graduating, Futo has earned a degree in psychology, is working on a degree in computer science and may begin working on a master’s degree.

Contact safety reporter Steve Bushong at [email protected].