Frustrated and furious with parking on campus

Alexia Harris

Enough is enough. I am sick and tired of Parking Services.

I got two tickets in one week.

I know what you are probably thinking, but it really wasn’t my fault.

I have a commuter pass, and I parked in the commuter lot, so I thought I wouldn’t get a ticket for parking in the correct lot.

But was I wrong.

My boyfriend lives in Centennial Court C, and, after one of our “talks,” I decided to spend the night instead of driving home in the wee hours of the morning.

Thinking that my parking would not be a problem, I fell asleep with no worries.

As I was on my way to class the next morning, I passed my car, decorated with a bright yellow envelope.

I was ticketed, and I was confused.

The ticket stated that I had parked in the lot when it was “closed.” I have been at Kent State for three years, and never had I heard of a lot closing — except for the pay lot in front of the Student Center.

Thinking that it was a mistake, I thought nothing of it. Two days later, I got another ticket for the same reason.

This time, I was angry.

When I called Parking Services to discuss the matter, I was transferred to three different people before I got an answer to my question: Why was I ticketed for parking in a lot I had a pass for?

The first operator said, “I don’t know, let me transfer you.”

The second operator said, “That’s a good question. But I’m new, so you have to hold on.”

The third operator got snappy, telling me there are big, yellow signs that specify the days and hours that students with certain passes are able to park in their assigned parking lots.

Students with commuter passes are not permitted to park in commuter lots between the hours of 3 a.m. and 6 a.m., Monday through Friday.

The only signs I saw were white with green letters, and they did not spell out the times students could not park there.

I told her I did not believe I should have to pay for two tickets for reasons that were not clearly expressed by easy-to-read signs or fliers. It would have even made sense for the rules to be on the back of the pass, but I didn’t see the regulations there either.

She then said in a sarcastic tone, “Well, if you want to contest it, then you have to file for an appeal online.”

As I was hanging up the phone, I heard her mumble something.

It took all I had to not walk to the Michael Schwartz Center and cuss out every operator who “helped” me.

I went to the Parking Services Web site and realized that I couldn’t file an appeal because invalid reasons for doing so included, “I didn’t see the sign” and “I don’t agree with the policy or regulation.”

After expressing my frustration with my fellow co-workers and classmates, I found out that I was not the only one who was fed up with Parking Services.

“I think Parking Services should be dragged out and beat with their ticket gun in the middle of Risman Plaza,” Kevin said angrily.

“How can you sell 200 S-37 passes when there are only 50 spots?” Joshzua asked. “And the tickets are too high. Fifteen dollars for the first offense? That’s B.S.”

Parking Services needs to revamp their entire system of issuing tickets and assigning passes. It’s clear that not only students, but also faculty and staff feel that the parking procedures and rules are unfair and confusing.

Parking Services, it’s obvious that you need to GET IT TOGETHER!

Alexia Harris is a junior public relations major and columnist for the Daily Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].