Allow your taste buds to travel the world

Bob Taylor

Already getting tired of the same old slop served all across campus? Just a few steps off campus, you’ll find yourself a diverse selection of cultural foods for affordable prices. Here are a few of the standouts.

China City

156 Cherry St.

(330) 673-6566

Chinese

Snuggled in next to the Kent Free Library and the University Plaza Theater is this yummy Asian restaurant. From the dumplings to the sesame chicken, you are in for some of the best Chinese food in the northeastern Ohio area.

Try one of the chef’s specialties, the Happy Family, for a treat. It’s a mixture of jumbo shrimp, pork, chicken and beef all stir-fried with vegetables. It’s a flavorful mix of tastes that will leave even the most jaded eater drooling for more.

Aside from all the standard Chinese appetizers, try the Crab Rangoon, which consists of deep fried vegetables mixed with cream cheese. But seriously, it’s yummy.

Carry out is available.

Main Street Coneys

911 East Main St.

(330) 678-0800

American

Known mostly for its wide assortment of hot dogs, Main Street Coneys has wieners beginning at just $1.35, and the selection will fill any palate.

Of special note are the cheddar dogs, which mix shredded cheddar cheese and special Coney sauce on the red hot dog. Coney sauce with onion, Tabasco and jalapenos are for those looking for something different. Try mixing and matching two different kinds of hot dogs because you won’t be able to eat just one.

“It’s the best place to pick up a dog anywhere in Kent,” said Amy Werstler, sophomore physical education major. “There are so many choices, how can you not get your fill?”

If you go to Main Street Coneys, you can’t miss their classic french fries, which are so crunchy and tasty you won’t be able to stop yourself from eating your own and half of your friend’s.

Sorboro’s Italian Kitchen

313 North Water St.

(330) 676-1900

Italian

Just outside the Kent city border you’ll find this Italian kitchen, specializing in serving delicious pizza but also serving up fine Italian pastas and breadsticks.

If you aren’t in the mood for their excellent pizza check out some of their wide variety of pastas. For a great take on an old classic, try the cheese ravioli or the manicotti.

“They are just so darn good that I had them cater my party for my high school graduation,” said Marisia Styles, senior political science major.

Stop on in and give it a try, or better yet, order it as take out and tell your significant other you cooked it for your romantic dinner with him or her.

Taco Tontos

123 Franklin Ave.

(330) 677-0223

Mexican

If you’re already bored with Chipotle and Taco Bell, check out this eatery with all the Mexican flavor you’ll want, just feet from all your favorite Kent downtown bars. From the amazing starter salsa to the refreshing takes on classic Mexican dishes like burritos and tostados, this is one eating experience you won’t want to pass up.

For a neat twist, try sprouts instead of lettuce on your burrito or taco for a yummy moist crunch you won’t get elsewhere.

Other than that, you can’t go wrong with this menu. Go crazy with the toppings on your meal, from jalapeno peppers to black olives for a unique dining experience you won’t get anywhere else in Kent.

“I liked the fact that they are near the Zephyr, and it tasted much better than nearby chain restaurants,” said Lindsey Barbati, senior hospitality management major.

Contact A.L.L. correspondent Robert Taylor at [email protected].