Don’t lose any virtue; just drink water

Alexia Harris

This column is dedicated to the freshmen.

My motive is to provide you with a little bit of advice. No, I’m not just an upperclassman looking down on you because you are new on campus. Just think of me as a big sister who is looking out for her younger siblings.

Every student on this campus has been in your shoes. We’ve all had to go through the misery of being the babies of campus, you know, “fresh meat.” I want you to know that, although you may be considered prey to some, it is up to you to not let yourself fall into the trap of a predator.

During my first year at Kent, I was so happy to see people who were taking care of business, and trying to better their lives by getting a college education. I was even more excited to be shown attention by the “big men on campus.”

It felt good knowing that even though I was a freshman, I had juniors and seniors trying to holler at me. Until I saw the same guy trying to talk to my classmate two minutes later.

My feelings were hurt, but then I realized that it was all part of the game. Males and females alike try to manipulate anyone whom they think is na’ve enough to believe what they are saying.

What you have to do is focus on your studies, and don’t believe everything you hear.

Not all people are like this, but you have to beware that the guy or girl whom you think you are in love with may have been lying to you for the past three months. It is always a possibility.

Watch out!

People lie all the time about their identity, intentions and past history. What you have to do is be able to sort out the truth from the lies; however, this is not an easy task.

Some of you may be think, “What does that have to do with being thirsty?”

Being thirsty is defined as, “feeling the need to drink a liquid,” but it also refers to having a strong desire or craving, such as for sex and companionship, for example.

People are thirsty when they are so desperate to have a boy/girlfriend, friend with benefits, etc., that they will do anything to get it, even if it requires lying and cheating.

Don’t be thirsty! Water is the best way to quench your thirst, not messing with six people at once; that is how you get caught up with drama and end up tainting the way your peers think of you.

Think about it. Do you want to be known as a male whore or female slut in the first five weeks of school? Remember, it only takes five minutes to corrupt your image, but it takes five years to rebuild it.

Ladies, do you really want to know what guys think when they see you falling over every dude who crosses your path?

Fellas, do you want to know what the ladies think when they see you flirting with a different girl every other minute?

Be smart. Don’t put all your trust into a crush or relationship. It is a lot smarter to put your time and effort into your school work.

Nobody wants a thirst quencher. Believe me when I say, “It’s not cute.”

And if you are thirsty, buy a drink – don’t sell your virtue.

Alexia Harris is a junior public relations major and columnist for the Daily Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].