Lecturer regarded as friend to students, fellow faculty

Tiffany Ciesicki

Kathy was dedicated to the university and her students.

That’s what Robert Wolf wants people to know about his wife, Kathleen Wolf, who died Saturday after being diagnosed with melanoma.

“She always had her door open to her office,” he said. “She always loved going to class and teaching her classes.”

Wolf taught college algebra, as well as some fundamental mathematics courses, at Kent State for 22 years.

“She worked very hard to make sure students who needed help got help,” Robert said. “Probably, her legacy is that she made a positive difference in the world through her students. She was certainly devoted to her family, her college, the math department and any student she had over the years.”

Bev Reed, lecturer and course coordinator in the department of mathematical sciences, shared an office with Wolf for almost 20 years. She said she remembers Wolf mostly as a good listener and a good friend.

“She was a wonderful friend and colleague and a consummate professional,” she said. “She was very dedicated to her students, hard working, efficient and enthusiastic about teaching.”

Reed said she looked at Wolf as a model teacher.

“It was clear how much her students cared for her and liked her,” she said.

Wolf got involved with learning a lot of the new software in the math department and trained others.

Though Reed said Wolf was not against the new technologies, she sometimes worried the advancements would take away from the teacher and student dynamic.

Wolf was involved with the University Teaching Council. She also worked to help develop the AAUP branch for the non-tenure track, becoming the first president, Reed said. The university previously had an association for professors, but Wolf helped organize the professional group for instructors at Kent State.

Reed remembers family being the most important thing in Wolf’s life outside of the university and her teaching.

Wolf is survived by her husband, Robert H. Wolf of Kent, her son, Ben Wolf of Washington, D.C., and daughter, Katie Hudson of Kent. She was preceded in death by her son, Rob Wolf. Her daughter Katie has two children, Kylie and Lane.

“Her grandchildren were her passion,” Reed said. “They just made her life.”

Reed said there is now a Kathleen Wolf Award for an outstanding Fundamental Mathematics 1 to 4 student.

Though Wolf’s death has left a void in the lives of those who knew her, Reed said her memory will carry on.

“She will always be with us because of her influence with so many people,” she said.

Contact news correspondent Tiffany Ciesicki at [email protected].

MEMORIAL SERVICE

• Calling hours will be held from 2 to 4 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m. today at Bissler and Sons Funeral Home in Kent. Services will be at 11 a.m. tomorrow at Kent United Methodist Church in Pierson Hall.

• Donations may be made to the building fund for the new Hillel Center in Wolf’s honor.