Kent State addresses students’ concerns, provides grading options

Maria McGinnis, Featuers/opinon editor Sara Crawford, Assigning editor

As a part of the “Flashes take care of Flashes” commitment, Melody Tankersley, Interim Senior Vice President and Provost, sent an email to all students Friday afternoon regarding changes to the current spring semester. 

In order to address students’ concerns about completing this semester and to add flexibility, students now have the option to opt in to completing their classes on a pass/fail basis. Meaning these classes will no longer affect GPA, but just reflect the pass or fail grade on transcripts. 

Many classes may not offer the opportunity to switch to a pass/fail grading scale due to accreditation, licensure requirements or learning outcomes that may need to be met. Students must reach out to their academic advisors to seek out the possibilities of the change. 

The date to withdraw from a course has been extended to the end of the semester. Choosing to withdraw from the course will not harm your GPA, but can impact your eligibility for future financial aid. Students should contact One Stop for Student Services to discuss the impact on enrollment status and financial aid eligibility. 

All other grading policies will remain in effect. 

Specific details on these changes will be available on Kent State’s website by Monday, March 30.

Contact Sara Crawford at [email protected] and Maria McGinnis at [email protected]