International Affairs office to move to Van Campen

Alaina Robbins

After almost 19 years in Bowman Hall, the Office of International Affairs will be moving into its new home in Van Campen Hall during the last week in July.

“We’ve been scoping out Van Campen for about a year and a half,” said Ken Cushner, executive director of International Affairs. “We needed a more presentable space for international visitors.”

Construction workers have been busy ripping out walls and carpeting in Van Campen, the former home of the Honors College, in order to have the facility ready for the Office of International Affairs to begin moving in by July 24.

“The new facility offers twice as much office and program space,” Cushner said.

The layout includes a large classroom and a lounge where students can relax.

“We are even gaining an apartment that will allow us to host international faculty and visiting scholars,” Cushner said.

For the first time, International Admissions will be combining with the Office of International Affairs. Kent State hosts between 800 to 900 international students per year.

“We would like to encourage more international students to come over,” Cushner said.

Combining the two offices will make the transition more efficient for international students.

In addition to joining International Admissions, the Office of International Affairs already hosts the International Students and Scholar Services and the Study Abroad program. It focuses on curriculum development.

International Affairs will begin its first week at the new location by Aug. 1 – long before the hundreds of new international students will be arriving for orientation.

“We’re really excited about the space,” said Sandy Baker, program manager at the Office of International Affairs. “It will be a lot more student- friendly.”

Contact international affairs and regional campus reporter Alaina Robbins at [email protected].