University meets its next president

Rachel Abbey

Students and faculty members line up to greet Lefton at Risman Plaza

Sophomore pre-medicine major Bambi Bibey received an invitation to a barbecue yesterday – from Kent State’s next president.

Bibey was one of the students, faculty and staff members who took the opportunity to meet President-elect Lester Lefton yesterday at the university’s reception. The line of people waiting to meet Lefton stretched from the center of Risman Plaza to the stairs surrounding it, yet Lefton took the time to personally speak with everyone who came.

“He seems like a real laid-back kind of person,” Bibey said.

She and a friend were talking with Lefton about his plans to be involved with students. Lefton said he plans to have open office hours for students to stop in and talk and even mentioned trying to have a barbecue.

Lefton said he thinks it’s important to have communication in the university, such as at yesterday’s event. He plans to schedule some open meetings in the plaza where the community could get together, ask questions and “drink some lemonade,” he said.

Many said they skipped questions yesterday and only wanted to meet Lefton and welcome him to Kent State.

David Fresco and Joel Hughes, assistant professors of psychology, said they would ask Lefton questions when he meets with their department individually.

Fresco said he was pleased to learn about Lefton’s academic credentials.

“We’re very enthusiastic that he’s going to bring his academic experience and shape the university with that mindset,” Fresco said.

Contact administration reporter Rachel Abbey at [email protected].