Commemorations begin for May 4

Rachel Abbey

The 36th annual commemoration of May 4 will continue tonight with a candlelight drum circle at 9:30 p.m. at the May 4 Memorial.

Anyone who wants to join in or just enjoy the “chill atmosphere” is welcome, said Justin Stine, treasurer of the May 4 Task Force and senior electronic media productions major.

According to its Web site, the May 4 Task Force was founded by Kent State students and those affected by the shootings and has been working to raise awareness since 1975. The task force is holding events this week to commemorate the shootings and events surrounding May 4, as it has for years past.

Events kicked off last night with a burial of the U.S. Constitution, symbolizing the similar ceremony students held in 1970. This is the first year the task force has held this event, Stine said.

The week’s other events have become tradition, but are still important, Stine said.

“It’s important because it happened here,” he said. “It’s important for people to know about and at least recognize it.”

Stine said students can still get involved with the annual silent vigil being held from midnight to 12:24 p.m. Thursday in the Prentice Hall parking lot. Volunteers will stand in half-hour shifts in the spaces where the students were killed.

The May 4 Task Force will have sign-ups for volunteers at the Symposium on Democracy Tuesday and Wednesday, Stine said.

Contact administration reporter Rachel Abbey at [email protected].