Honors fraternity is ‘small in number but big at heart’

Kate Bigam

Although it has only half a dozen active members, the president of Kent State’s Omicron Delta Kappa honors fraternity called the organization “small in number but big at heart.”

Graduate student Nicole Silver has been president of Omicron Delta Kappa’s local chapter, Bowman Circle, for two years.

“What is so remarkable about this organization is that we have members from all walks of life with unique ideas to contribute,” Silver said.

Omicron Delta Kappa will sponsor an American Red Cross blood drive tomorrow.

Omicron Delta Kappa is open to juniors, seniors and graduate students with a grade point average of at least 2.9. Students from all majors are welcome.

The group participates in numerous events within the community and on campus. This year, the group organized a blood drive with the American Red Cross and created Christmas packages for underprivileged children. The organization also offers a $100 book scholarship available to any Kent State student through the Student Financial Aid Web site.

Silver said that in recent years, the chapter has discovered that many students don’t realize what Omicron Delta Kappa has to offer.

“Many people are not aware of this organization and are missing the chance to be affiliated with such an impactful honor society,” Silver said.

Early this semester, Omicron Delta Kappa focused on advertising to increase student awareness, distributing fliers around campus and providing professors with applications to hand out to qualified students.

However, this semester’s initiation ceremony, which was scheduled for April 9, was canceled because no students applied for membership, said Patricia Stephens, assistant to the group’s faculty adviser, Paul Milton.

The organization will continue to advertise on campus throughout the semester. Interested students will have the opportunity to apply in the fall and should contact Patricia Stephens with questions at (330) 672-8728.

Contact Greek life reporter Kate Bigam at [email protected].