Letters to the editor

In support of Dr. Ajayi’s return to Kent State

Dear Editor:

This letter is in support of the return of Murphy Ajayi. Ajayi’s wealth of knowledge of many diverse topics is welcomed and needed by many students and staff alike. The information Ajayi retains about life, Africa and art is impeccable. He not only is inspiring to students, but he encourages all students seek out success in all avenues of life. Not having him here has left a void in many students’ lives and has halted and limited our learning.

Shame on Kent State and its administrators for not retaining and recognizing that this is a man who not only inspires, but this is a teacher who students actually listen to and learn from.

We, the students, feel disheartened that he is not here because he had such much energy and wisdom to give to us. He especially enlightens us African-American students who are curious of our homeland. His knowledge of many African tribes gives us African-Americans living in the American Diaspora a chance to learn of our people back home. We, the students, need him; we need his wisdom and knowledge to be learned, shared and applied to our daily lives. We, the students, need him for his strength, positivity and for teaching us respect of one another and ourselves as well.

Harrison Woodruff

Senior justices studies major

FlashFest dim to some, appeals to many others

Dear Editor:

In response to Ben Breier’s column Tuesday, ACPB would like to address a matter that has been misinterpreted. It is true that in the past ACPB has brought some big-named entertainment to the stage for FlashFest. However, the foundation on which FlashFest was built upon 12 years ago, was intended to create a variety of all-day activities, as opposed to just a concert.

FlashFest is supposed to be exactly what its name implies — a festival. Festivals are comprised of music, food, activities and games. Typically, festivals take place all day or all weekend long.

In recent years, one big act has left people wanting a bigger act the next year, and with a budget that is staying the same, that is impossible. Every year, artists’ performance fees increase, while our allocated funds remain virtually unchanged. To provide the student body with year long activities, ACPB must maintain a strict budget.

In order for ACPB to bring big-named entertainment, including stage and production costs, we would need to double the funds budgeted for FlashFest. Obviously, that is not a possibility. In the past, ACPB has been able to collaborate with larger organizations, such as MTV, which allowed for us to negotiate prices that would have been unaffordable otherwise. However, that is an opportunity that will not happen every year.

We are presenting a few local bands, including the winner of Battle of the Bands — 1959 — to warm up the audience for the larger acts. We wanted to bring acts from different types of music to appeal to as many students as possible. These artists are from all different genres, such as punk, ska, techno, country and also a comedian.

In 12 years, this is by far the most diverse FlashFest we have ever had, and we believe we have touched upon the interests of the student body. Kent State is built on diversity, so keeping that in mind, we have created multiple fun activities for everyone to enjoy.

ACPB encourages all students to check out the entertainment and make your own personal judgment. In the future, please feel free to express your opinions to the board by joining a committee, where your input is highly valued. To join a committee, please visit our Web site, http://acpb.kent.edu, or stop by room 236 of the Student Center.

Hope to see everyone there!

Submitted on behalf of the All Campus Programming Board