Summertime renovations set to begin

Jennifer Mussig

Construction fencing will remain around Franklin Hall as the foundation for the new addition is put in this summer. Renovation of the building will be completed before the addition, but the project should be completed by Fall 2007, said Beth Ruffing, assistant director of capital planning.

Summer means hot weather, orange cones, road detours and the steady hum of construction equipment. Kent State’s campus will be a hive of activity as the university tries to take advantage of the 95 to 100 days between school letting out for the summer and students arriving in the fall.

About 35 projects will be under construction on campus this summer, said Tom Euclide, director of architecture and engineering. And those are just the more substantial projects. He said there are at least 20 projects of a smaller scale being done as well.

The capital improvement plan allocation bill was not approved in time for all the construction to take place last summer, Euclide said, which is why there are so many projects this summer. The delay in funds did not allow enough time to complete designs for projects last summer.

“We are making up for lost time and planning for the future,” Euclide said.

The Student Center Ballroom will be closed as it receives a makeover this summer. The room will be modified with up-to-date technical needs. The makeover won’t be completed by the time classes resume in the fall, Euclide said.

The Portage Bike and Hike Trail will be extended from the Kent campus to the Summit East parking lot, Horning Road and the new pedestrian bridge crossing over state Route 261, Euclide said. By early fall students can use the path to walk to football games.

Work on the third and final phase of the University Esplanade will be completed for the fall. It will connect the first two phases in the area between Bowman Hall, the Business and Administration Building and the Art Building. The esplanade, or wide walkway, will also extend down Hilltop Drive toward Franklin Hall.

Roof repairs and replacement will be done on the Art Building, the Business Administration Building, the M.A.C. Center and the fourth floor of the Library. The Michael Schwartz Center roof will be replaced along with some windows. The majority of the roof of The Music and Speech Center will also be replaced.

Four restroom facilities at Dix Stadium will also be renovated this summer. Updated plumbing fixtures, toilet partitions, lighting and accessories will be installed. Euclide said ventilation will be installed to provide heat in the restrooms.

Shower rooms in four residence halls will be renovated this summer. Restrooms in Allyn, Manchester, Dunbar and Leebrick Halls will be rebuilt as private toilet and shower rooms. Each individual shower room will have a shower, sink and toilet, Euclide said.

Allerton Apartment Buildings G and H will be demolished this summer. Both apartments have been closed for the past year. Dynasty Deconstruction, which has a contract to remove salvageable materials from Terrace Hall, will also remove and recycle materials from the apartments before demolition, Euclide said. For a complete list of construction projects visit the Office of the University Architect’s Web site at www.kent.edu/universityarchitect.

Contact buildings and grounds reporter Jennifer Mussig at [email protected].