Feminist Union elects new executive board

Bryan Wroten

President wants group to become more involved with other organizations, but stand on its own

Having the Feminist Union become more independent is a goal for next year’s president Emily Costa.

Last night, the Feminist Union held an election for its executive board. Members of the group nominated candidates for the positions of president, vice president, archivist, treasurer and programming director. They then listened as the candidates each gave a short speech.

Costa, this year’s vice president, said while she wants the Feminist Union to stand on its own, she also wants to branch out to other organizations, such as Black United Students and the International Socialist Organization.

“I want to find out what people want to talk about,” she said. “I want their perspectives on womanhood.”

Costa ran unopposed.

The other winners were Riajo Loftin for vice president, Terrin Schnee for archivist, Ted Trimm for treasurer and Katie Troha for programming director.

Loftin, BUS historian and treasurer, ran against Nikki Hroncich, senior integrated language arts major, for the position of vice president. Both agreed that getting students excited about the organization would help to increase attendance and, therefore, get more accomplished.

Loftin said her experience on the BUS Executive Board helped her familiarize herself with the Center for Student Involvement, so she knows how everything works.

“I can be a pain in the ass,” she said. “I get the things I want.”

Hroncich, who also ran for archivist, said her experience with Greek organizations helped her learn how to get students excited about things they didn’t even know existed. She focused on advertising and publicity to spread the group’s name. Members should talk to students and promote the activities, she said.

“Encourage members to be cheerleaders,” she said. “It’s free publicity. No papers, no chalk. Nothing but your mouth.”

Schnee, junior integrated language arts major, said starting a gay/straight alliance at Bowling Green State University and working as the director of community development for the Kent Interhall Council prepared him for leadership. Getting involved with other student groups would help get the group’s name out there, he said.

The other two candidates who ran unopposed were Trimm, sophomore integrated life sciences major, and Troha, freshman applied conflict management major.

Trimm, who ran for treasurer, said he has always wanted to get involved with the Feminist Union, but other group obligations stopped him. Now able to run for the board, he said he has the dedication and experience for the position. As the director of finance for KIC, he said he worked with a budget of more than $100,000 and is familiar with the allocations process.

After the results came out, Costa said she is excited about working with next year’s board. She said they have several common goals and ideas.

“We have a lot of really good people,” she said, “a lot of good experience.”

Contact minority affairs reporter Bryan Wroten at [email protected].