Study Abroad Fair draws a crowd

Nicole Weible

Students consider global destinations to learn and explore

Max Grubb, assistant journalism and mass communication professor, listens to Kenneth Cushner, executive director of international affairs and professor of education, during the Study Abroad Fair. Grubb runs a summer program where students spend two weeks

Credit: Carl Schierhorn

Students explored options of cruising the French Riviera, skiing through the Alps and kissing the Blarney Stone, while they searched for classes in other countries.

The Office of International Affairs hosted the Study Abroad Fair in the Student Center yesterday. More than 150 students came who were interested in study abroad programs.

“I want to get some information for a trip I might take,” said Jeff Webb, sophomore electronic media production major. “I want to go to France, England or just Europe in general.”

Students could participate in a raffle by getting information about all the programs. Theresa Minick, adviser and member of the Study Abroad Committee, said students could win $50 scholarships for books, T-shirts, iPods and more.

Organizations from Kent State and other international organizations provided the students with information about each opportunity to study abroad.

Sophomore Spanish major Tim Adkins said he received a lot of information by attending the fair.

“There are a lot of experts here that know what they’re talking about,” he said. “It’s good that we’re able to see a sample of everything offered.”

At another table, students learned they could get intermediate Spanish I and II credits by going to Mexico for four weeks, or receive intermediate German I and II credits by going to Germany for four weeks.

Senior marketing major Jenafer Lattimer was handing out information about studying abroad for business majors. Lattimer participated in a business program in Laval, located in the city of Quebec.

“It was a lot of fun,” she said. “I gained more knowledge in three weeks than I did during my whole time at Kent.”

Lattimer said by studying abroad, students are able to make international connections, which are important for all business majors.

Kristi Hanratty, regional manager of academic relations for Cultural Experiences Abroad, said the program works with 11 countries.

“We work with all schools, and we work with any major,” Hanratty said. “We make it really easy for students to study abroad.”

Hanratty said a lot of programs offer residence directors, people who know about the city, to travel abroad with students in order to introduce them to the new countries.

A financial aid table was set up for students to ask questions about receiving money for traveling abroad. Financial aid coordinator Tara Jackson said if eligible, students can get money to study abroad.

“Most students use financial aid because tuition is more expensive,” she said. “If students already have financial aid, they can maybe receive more for study abroad.”

Students were also able to learn about internships in other countries.

“We have over 300 courses that students can take,” said Will Concard, senior campus relations representative. “We offer both classes and internships.”

Concard said students from any major can choose a class or an internship for credit.

Contact international affairs reporter Nicole Weible at [email protected].