Give time to those in Biloxi

Kevin Clark

I’m no Tupac, definitely not a rapper, but … “I won’t deny it, I’m a straight writer and you don’t want no stuff with me.” I’ve been blessed with this ability since the age of two and not to be conceited, I know I’ve got skills.

As the editor-in-chief for UHURU Magazine and your favorite columnist for the Daily Kent Stater, I’ve also been blessed with having a voice. A voice that wanted to be heard after the events of Hurricane Katrina. Who would’ve thought that this tragedy would lead to me having a job?

I say that I have a voice because of the medium, not in any ways do I mean the skin tone. It is with this ability that I feel that I am able to make a mark on this campus. Not only as a representative of my race, but as a journalist and a watcher of all that surrounds me. With our current state of affairs running amuck, my ambitions as a writer are to be able to guide this generation and the next smoothly through to the other side.

That is why I applaud the actions of the students who are venturing down to Biloxi, Miss., to help out with the rebuilding of the Gulf Coast. In a piece that I wrote titled, “To build or not to rebuild” – I talked about if gentrification of New Orleans was the right thing to do.

After hearing what George Garrison, Pan-African studies professor, and Gary Padak, dean of undergraduate studies, were saying about the areas that they’ve visited and that we shall soon see for ourselves – I know that this isn’t gentrification that we’re doing. Seven months after the fact, people are still suffering from the effects of Hurricane Katrina’s wrath and Bush’s negligence. The message that we’re hearing is that there is still hopelessness and despair down in those regions.

The media has moved onto other things that fill the airwaves like Britney Spears’ second pregnancy or how the new “Sopranos” season will start off with a bang. It is sad to hear reports that there are casinos within the demolished areas and that people are spending whatever they have on a hope and a prayer. My heart goes out to those people who are still trying to find a way.

Words hold a lot of power when the message is conveyed correctly and honestly. For those who are faithful readers of this paper (this column specifically), I ask for you all to keep everyone in your prayers. I also implore you all to continue to support the victims in any way possible. Seemingly, people are generous when it’s the “thing to do,” but the thing that’s right is to continue to donate money, clothes, time and support – anything that can make dealing with the day-to-day problems less strenuous.

Are your senses riled up? Is your heart all a-flutter? Go to http://realrecognizereal.wordpress.com.

Kevin Clark is a sophomore journalism major and columnist for the Daily Kent Stater. Contact him at [email protected].