KSC Programming prepares for Oscar party in Rathskeller

Heath Ledger and Reese Witherspoon won’t be the only ones dressing up for Sunday’s Academy Awards.

Kent Student Center Programming is sponsoring its annual Oscar Party in the Rathskeller. All students are invited to come and watch the Oscars from 7:30 to 11:30 p.m.

Senior theater major Katie Wallace, who is coordinating the free event, said students are encouraged, though not required, to dress formally.

“There will be a red carpet and everything,” Wallace said. “We’re celebrating a formal occasion, and we’d love it if everyone dressed up. It’s fun, and it adds to the ambiance.”

The organization will take pictures of formally-dressed students to put on its official Web site. There will also be large cutouts students can use for pictures.

The event will feature a ballot table where students can win free prizes by casting their Oscar-winner predictions.

By the end of the night, whoever has the most accurate guesses will receive a free Scene It? movie trivia game. Others have the opportunity to win free DVDs of Oscar-nominated films by answering movie-related questions.

“Brokeback meatballs” and other free food will be provided, and students with proper identification can buy drinks at the Rathskeller bar.

“It’s going to be a lot of fun, and I hope people will come,” Wallace said. “It’s definitely better than watching the Oscars at your house.”

– Ally Melling