Sociology students prepare for Indianapolis conference

Bethy DeLong

Eight students from the Student Sociological Collective, the university’s sociology club, will attend the North Central Sociological Association’s annual conference this weekend.

The conference is a gathering of students, researchers, teachers and others associated with sociology. There will be presentations given about many different topics targeting activism, said Stephen Keto, faculty adviser to Student Sociological Collective.

“The theme of the conference this year is ‘Making a Difference: Sociology as Social Activism,'” Keto said. “The main point, though, is tied to making a difference.”

The students will have the opportunity to pick and choose the sessions they would like to attend.

“Each session will be thematic,” Keto said. “If students would like to hear about recycling, they can go and listen to about four different speakers on that topic.”

The Student Sociological Collective will also have a student giving a presentation. Polina Ermolaeva, sociology major and exchange student from Russia, will be giving a presentation on a study she did in her home country.

“My study concentrated on the youth in my city and their environmental behavior,” Ermolaeva said. “I hope other people can see how sociology is developing in other societies.”

Ermolaeva is excited to attend the conference.

“I would like to go and learn about others’ work and exchange ideas,” Ermolaeva said. “Maybe someone’s work will influence me to do new research.”

The Student Sociological Collective has worked hard since last fall to fund the trip, Keto said. The Undergraduate Student Senate allocated funds to the Student Sociological Collective to make this conference possible for the students.

“Hopefully students will bring back ideas and help make a difference,” Keto said.

Everyone is welcome to join the Student Sociological Collective, which meets at 3:30 p.m. every Thursday in room 210 of Merrill Hall, he said.

Contact room and board reporter Bethy DeLong at [email protected].