The ups and downs of living on and off campus

Ariane R. Cavin

Dining services, the Student Recreation and Wellness Center and a large community of friends versus more space and the freedom of living alone are the differences some students see between living on or off campus.

There are several similarities and differences to living on or off campus. People choose one or the other based on personal experiences and needs.

Living on campus allows students to be close to their learning environment and part of the university community. There are currently 33 residence halls on campus not including Stopher and Johnson, which are being reconstructed.

Living on campus puts students in close vicinity to five cafeterias and six 24-hour computer labs and laundry services.

Amelia Dalheim, junior business management major, decided to move off campus so her car could be closer.

“My car is right outside of where I live,” she said. “I don’t have to ride the bus to the stadium to get my car.”

Dalheim does not regret living in the dorms for two years before moving out because she liked the experience. However, she said she enjoys having more freedom living off campus.

Being closer to the classrooms and food services is a reason why Ebony Jackson, sophomore fashion design major, said she likes living on campus.

“Everything is close to my dorm and within walking distance,” she said. “I like it because I don’t have to commute.”

It’s easier to be late to class when living off campus, Dalheim said. She has to give herself more time to walk to classes.

A major difference between living on or off campus is the price of food.

“The food is expensive compared to grocery stores,” Jackson said. “The prices are way higher for the same items.”

A possible benefit to living off campus is students have their own choice of what they eat.

“I eat healthier foods now that I live off campus,” Dalheim said. “I can decide what I want to eat.”

The decision to move off campus or stay on campus is a personal choice students must make every year. Having dining halls, recreation facilities and friends right by the dorms are major benefits some students see with living on campus. However, an advantage of living off campus for others is freedom from dorm life and college food.

Contact ROTC reporter Ariane R. Cavin at [email protected].