14 accounting students bring honors to KSU

Nicole King

Beta Alpha Psi brought home another win for Kent State at the Midwest Regional Meeting and Best Practices Competition in Detroit Feb. 24 through 26.

The regional meeting was attended by participants from more than 30 of the Midwest’s top universities and accounting programs. The Kent State chapter of BAP, the accounting fraternity, took 14 students and competed in the areas of Improving Financial Literacy and Strategic Planning.

“These competitions really help put Kent State’s accounting program on the map,” said Jen Hallos, junior accounting major. “This trip was a great bonding experience.”

Kent held a Financial Literacy Fair in the fall to engage college students in accounting. BAP set up several booths and had surveys for students to fill out that rated the various content of the booths. BAP wanted to see what accounting knowledge college students had prior to the fair. It used this information to compete in the category of Improving Financial Literacy at the Midwest Regional Meeting and placed second behind Indiana University.

“This was a wonderful presentation,” said Donald McFall, lecturer at Kent State. “I spoke with both The Ohio State University and Ohio University advisors, and they expressed their amazement at our students’ expert skills.”

A group also presented in the Strategic Planning category. The basis of the plan is to change the current system of recognizing chapter excellence by using a reward system that would allow each chapter to reward factors such as innovation, interaction and spirit, McFall said.

“This competition gives you a chance to tell others about what you’ve done,” said Matt Fifolt, Beta Alpha Psi president. “We also get to watch other chapters’ presentations and pick up new ideas, too.”

The team received first place in this category and an opportunity to compete at the National competition in Washington, D.C., Aug. 2 through 4.

“I would like to express my appreciation to all 14 students in attendance,” McFall said. “These students conducted themselves professionally throughout the meeting and showed spirit and enthusiasm during our presentations.”

BAP has now earned four first place and two second place awards in the six Best Practice events they have entered since the competition began six years ago. McFall said no other program in the entire Midwest has a better record.

“BAP is a great way to meet people who can help you network,” Hallos said. “We are also involved in the community through various organizations such as Habitat for Humanity.”

Contact business reporter Nicole King at [email protected].