Event gives tips for safe Spring Break

Celina Hutchens

Thoughts of Spring Break sometimes include warm beaches and palm trees, but some students forget the rules of safety when traveling to these exotic locations.

“In a familiar place such as Kent, students can get away with walking by themselves for the most part,” said Amy Domitrovich, junior middle childhood education major. “It’s a safe place, but if you’re in a different area with a few friends it can become dangerous.”

In an effort to make students more aware of those safety issues that arise during Spring Break, University Health Services and the Office of Health Promotion at DeWeese are sponsoring Safe Spring Break Week.

The event, which kicked off yesterday on the second floor of the Student Center, is being held each day this week from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Complete with guest speakers, games, raffle prizes and information tables, the event allows students to become more aware of safety issues that may arise during Spring Break, said Shannon Woods, senior community health education major and intern in the Office of Health Promotion.

Woods organized this year’s event and said she hopes to draw a large crowd.

Safe Spring Break Week is a nationwide event to educate students on making healthy choices regarding sexual health, alcohol, personal safety and sun protection, she said.

Numerous tables set up in the Student Center by various organizations around campus will provide information to answer questions about Spring Break. “This educational and informative program helps people be safe during Spring Break,” Woods said. “People are away from home partying it up, and Safe Spring Break Week addresses the most prevalent issues when discussing Spring Break. This program will address most, if not all student needs in some way, shape or form.”

Safe Spring Break Week will also include a presentation on sexual health and sexually transmitted infection risks and prevention. The program features two speakers, Jim Chillemi, an outreach coordinator, and Danny Boomhower, a risk reduction specialist, in a presentation called “That 70’s Sex Show.” They will present from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. tomorrow in the Kiva.

Domitrovich plans on stopping by the Student Center to see what Safe Spring Break has to offer.

“I think it’s a good idea because it can show awareness to those going on Spring Break and the dangerous effects,” Domitrovich said. “But I’m not sure if students will take it serious or just go to get the condoms.”

She said that drug and alcohol intake is one of the biggest concerns involving students traveling on Spring Break. She said that although she isn’t traveling far for Spring Break, she is still going to be aware of how much alcohol she consumes.

“Spring Breakers have to realize that even though it’s fun and exciting to go somewhere, drinking can put you in dangerous situations, Domitrovich said, “Especially if you are out the of the states.”

Contact medicine reporter Celina Hutchens at [email protected].