Softball goes 1-2 at Buckeye Classic

Amanda Vasil

After losing the opening game of the Buckeye Softball Classic Invitational to Ohio State and winning the second game against Youngstown, the Kent State softball team dropped its final game to Pittsburgh yesterday 4-1.

After junior designated hitter Megan Verde doubled in the bottom of the second, Kent State (8-9) took an early 1-0 lead.

In the fifth, Pittsburgh grabbed the lead with a triple, sending two in to make the score 2-1. The Panthers increased their lead in the top of the seventh with a single and double.

Taking the loss was junior pitcher Brittney Robinson, last week’s Mid-American Conference Pitcher of the Week. Robinson struck out 11 hitters and allowed eight hits and four runs in seven innings.

Sophomore outfielder Corey Houk was named to the All-Tournament team after hitting .333 with two runs scored, a double and a home run.

Against Ohio State Friday, Kent State fell 2-1 in eight innings without either team scoring before the seventh inning. The Flashes posted the first run when senior Ashley Ball singled in freshman Dani Monson in the top of the eighth.

With one out in the bottom of the eighth, the Buckeyes caught a two-RBI double from junior catcher Lauren Daykin, securing the win.

Robinson took her second loss of the weekend, allowing four hits and struck out seven in one-third innings.

The Flashes picked up momentum the following day to defeat Youngstown 12-5 with sophomore first baseman Jamie Fitzpatrick hitting two home runs.

Also leading offensively were Houk and Kim Hamilton, who hit a home run apiece. Houk also scored two runs and drove in a pair.

Sophomore pitcher Gabrielle Burns earned her first victory of the season, allowing three hits, two runs and recording seven strikeouts.

Kent State will host its first home game of the season with a doubleheader starting at 2 p.m. Wednesday as it faces Robert Morris (3-22).

Contact assistant sports editor Amanda Vasil at [email protected].