More high school students earn AP credit for college

Derek Lenehan

More high school students are earning cost-efficient college credits by passing advanced placement exams, according to the College Board, the association that developed the Advanced Placement Program.

More than 14 percent of the class of 2005 scored a three or better on one or more AP exams. Three is the score considered equal to success in a college course.

There has been a steady increase in incoming Kent State freshmen with AP credit, Honors College Dean Larry Andrews said.

“We were seeing an increase in scores every year,” he said. “Whether that is due to an increase in quality of freshmen classes, or more students taking the exams, I don’t know.”

Andrews added AP credits are a bit controversial on a national level, as far as honors programs go.

“Some directors and professors have been hesitant to accept AP credits toward honors requirements.” he said. “Honors courses are more thorough than a one-shot test.”

AP exams have received significant attention in recent weeks because of President Bush’s AP Incentive program, which proposes to increase the number of students taking AP exams by over one million students in the next six years.

The class of 2005 represented an increase of 0.9 percent in number of students passing AP exams. The class of 2004 also beat their predecessors by 3 percent.

Roger Sidoti, principal of Theodore Roosevelt High School, said he has seen a slight increase in local students’ AP performance.

“We’ve seen an increase in the number of kids taking AP courses, which means more kids taking the exams,” he said.

Sidoti said while scores have increased slightly over the last eight years, there have been no standout increases.

“Our students have always scored well,” he added.

Contact academic affairs reporter Derek Lenehan at [email protected].