CNN’s Cooper speaks at Kent Stark today

Tessa Carroll

Kent State Stark campus will host journalist and television news anchor Anderson Cooper as part of the Featured Speaker series. He will present “Anderson Cooper 360” at 7:30 p.m. tonight in the Timken Great Hall.

Cooper, who graduated in 1989 with a bachelor of arts in political science from Yale University and studied Vietnamese at the University of Hanoi, is the anchor of fast-paced CNN news program “Anderson Cooper 360.”

Cynthia Williams, Stark campus public relations coordinator, said the Stark campus is honored to have Cooper speaking at their campus.

“Anderson Cooper has been growing in popularity over the past several years, and we felt that because of his contributions to broadcasting he would be a well-anticipated addition to the series, in addition to being educational for students pursuing careers in journalism,” she said.

Cooper also has a background in political science.

Thomas Yantek, a professor of political science at the Kent campus, said he feels the connection between politics and the mass media is necessary.

“We can’t talk about politics at the national level without the mass media,” he said. “It would be impossible for politicians to speak to their constituents without the help of qualified, knowledgeable journalists.”

Cooper’s political background led to him moderating a Democratic presidential candidates forum for “America Votes 2004.”

Prior to working for CNN, Cooper worked as a reporter and producer for news broadcast station Channel One where he reported and produced stories from Bosnia, Iran, Israel, Russia, Rwanda, Somalia, South Africa and Vietnam.

His national news stories were broadcast over the Channel One News school television network to more than 12,000 classrooms nationwide. Cooper has also worked as a news correspondent for ABC News and several of ABC’s other news programs, including “20/20” and “World News Now.” He was also the host of the popular reality television show “The Mole.”

Williams said she would like to see students from all Kent State campuses attend Cooper’s lecture, regardless of what career path they are planning.

“We would just like the students to come to this event, and other events at Kent State Stark, with open minds and a readiness to engage in a broadened exchange of ideas,” she said.

The event is free and open to the public. Tickets are not required and seating is available on a first-come first-served basis. For more information on this and other Kent Stark events, please contact Cynthia Williams at 330-244-3262.

Contact regional campuses reporter Tessa Carroll at [email protected].