Taylor Hall photo lab catches fire

Jennifer Mussig

A photo dryer caught fire in Taylor Hall’s photo lab late yesterday morning and was quickly extinguished.

No one was injured.

Chuck Bluman, School of Journalism and Mass Communication photo lab manager, said the fire was small, about the size of a candle.

“I saw sparks,” Bluman said. “I grabbed the fire extinguisher, pulled the pin and put it out.”

Gail Williams, custodial worker in Taylor Hall, was the first to notice the fire.

“I heard a buzz first, then noticed the smell and the lights dimmed,” she said.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation, a dispatcher from the Kent Fire Department said.

Contact buildings and grounds reporter Jennifer Mussig at [email protected]