Looking the part

Amands Sowards

Seminar educates students on interview fashion

Preparing for an interview can be nerve-racking enough without having to worry about what to wear. However, there is hope for students who are struggling with business fashion.

For those enrolled in the School of Fashion Design and Merchandising, a professional seminar is mandatory. Junior fashion design major Rachael Edmiston, who has taken the class, said it taught students to hone their interviewing skills, write resumes and cover letters and research potential employers.

The class also brings in professionals to do mock interviews where students are graded on their appearance and aptitude.

“I wore a nice blouse to my interview and was told it was unacceptable, and that I needed a jacket,” Edmiston said.

For students who do not have a similar course available to them, there is still hope.

School of Fashion professor Bill Hauck said it is perfectly acceptable to ask the company what you should wear to an interview. Dress projects image and should be appropriate for the job being interviewed for, Hauck said.

Amy Sindelar, career specialist for the university’s Career Services Center, said looks can be the deciding factor between candidates, so dressing conservatively is imperative. Black and navy blue suits with muted shirts and ties are best for interviews, Sindelar said.

“Women should keep their hair pulled back and wear comfortable and conservative shoes,” Sindelar said.

Sandals and open toes are undesirable, and the interview may consist of a company tour, so awkward shoes may become bothersome, Sindelar said.

Everyone should avoid any large, flashy jewelry that will draw attention. Any facial piercings should be removed as well, Sindelar said.

Hauck said he tells students “the number one rule for any kind of job interview is to look in the mirror and ask yourself if you would hire you,” Hauck said.

Contact fashion reporter Amanda Sowards at [email protected].