Open casting call to take place on campus today

Ben Plassard

An open casting call for a music video and a television commercial will be held today from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. in the Student Center room 313.

The television commercial is guaranteed to be aired on ESPN and BET, while the music video will run on MTV and VH1. Selected students may have the opportunity to appear in both, said Gwen Jimmere, a graduate student whose Family Tree videography class will be participating in both shoots.

According to a press release, students of all ethnicities, size and height are needed for the television commercial, which will accept only 40 men and 40 women. Students are asked to bring a full-face photograph to the audition. If you do not have one, a photograph will be provided for a fee of $2. The commercial will be shot Saturday from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. and selected students are asked to be prepared to be there the entire day.

The commercial will be shot on-campus and in Akron. Details of the commercial will be revealed closer to shooting time, the press release said.

Extras and dancers are needed for a music video which will be aired on MTV and VH1. The video will be for hip-hop duo Nuttin’ But Stringz, a group comprised of two New York-based brothers who combine their violin talents with hip-hop. They are currently on a national tour and have appeared on numerous television shows such as “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,” Jimmere said.

Those auditioning will be asked to freestyle dance to music provided at the casting call. It is asked that if you do not know how to dance to please not audition for a dancing part. The shoot is not limited to just dancers, as extras are wanted for the video, Jimmere said.

Students selected for the music video should be prepared to spend the entire weekend of Feb. 17 to 19 on set. The video will be shot in Kent and in Cleveland.

More details of both shoots will be made available closer to filming dates.

Jimmere said auditioning for the music video and commercial is a phenomenal opportunity for students.

“It’s a chance to be on TV and to be in a real music video,” Jimmere said. “It’s also a chance for media majors to see what goes on during filming and on the set of video and commercial shoots.”

Contact off-campus entertainment reporter Ben Plassard [email protected].