Charges dropped against Airhart

Derek Lenehan

Dave Airhart, Marine veteran and freshman anthropology major, had all disciplinary charges against him dropped by the university. His lawyer, Nancy Grim, was notified by the administration last night, less than 24 hours before Airhart’s scheduled hearing.

The administration’s reasons for dropping the case were not immediately revealed.

Airhart was charged with disorderly conduct and faced possible expulsion. The charges were the result of Airhart climbing an Army recruiters’ rock wall on Oct. 19 and hanging a banner advocating peace. He was briefly detained by police after climbing down the back of the wall.

“I’m not going to let this deter me,” he said in a press conference in the Student Center. “But I will be a bit more cautious to prevent myself from being kicked out of the university.”

Airhart’s case received attention nationally and internationally. He was mentioned in Rolling Stone magazine, as well as on Al-Jazeera, a media network of the Middle East.

During the press conference, Airhart answered several questions about his service in Iraq, Afghanistan and the time he spent transporting prisoners to Guantanomo Bay, Cuba.

“Abu Grahib didn’t surprise me. Stuff like that happens all the time,” he said, referring to the photographs of detainee abuse in the Iraqi prison.

The press conference was attended by regional reporters as well as several members of the Kent State Anti-War Committee. Airhart left the conference to attend a rally in Risman Plaza and was greeted by cheers and chants of “Hands Off Dave.” About 35 people came to show their support for Airhart and KSAWC.

The rally featured several speakers, including members of student activist groups, non-student activists and Kent State faculty. Between speakers, the group shouted chants such as: “Stop the war, stop the hate, get recruiters off Kent State.”

Airhart said the attention he has received since Oct. 19 has been surprising.

“I’m definitely not used to this,” he said. “It’s a little overwhelming.”

Airhart also expressed thanks during the rally in Risman Plaza.

“I want to thank Nancy Grim, my lawyer, and just the media in general for bringing so much attention to this,” he said.

Though the disciplinary charges have been dropped, the university is still pressing for mediation between Airhart and the administration.

Airhart said that he was not surprised by the decision.

“No,” he said with a smile, “I figured they wouldn’t kick me out.”

Contact news correspondent Derek Lenehan at [email protected].