Cartwright’s raise approved

Rachel Abbey

As of yesterday, President Carol Cartwright receives $270,000 per year for her work at Kent State. The Board of Trustees approved an approximate 5 percent raise for the president, starting September 2005.

Cartwright’s 5 percent raise is slightly lower than the maximum recommended for unclassified staff, said Carolyn Pizzuto, vice president for Human Resources.

Salary for unclassified staff such as professional and managerial workers, including the president, is based on merit, she said. The universities recommended that employees receive raises between 0 and 5.1 percent, although they could receive higher.

“We wish we could pay her an awful lot more,” said R. Douglas Cowan, chairman of the Board of Trustees. “To Carol’s credit, she’s insisted over the years to not get any higher than anyone else.”

Other actions at the meeting included changes in university finances and academics.

On-campus natural gas drilling

The trustees approved four on-campus drilling sites for natural gas and oil. The sites will bring additional revenue to the university.

There are 4,200 active natural gas and oil wells in Portage county, said David Creamer, vice president for Administration. These wells would be the first on the Kent campus, but this has been done on regional campuses and other university-owned land in the past.

Two of the wells would be located by the plant behind the parking lot on Summit Street and two would be behind the intramural fields, he said. Kent State would also invest in two other wells, possibly on university land, but not on campus.

“We’ve tried to isolate these areas to where the least amount of campus activity is going on,” Creamer said.

The life of a well is about 20 years, said Alan Coogan, president of Coogan and Associates, Inc., a consulting firm for oil and gas exploration. Investors would first get their money back, and then Kent State could make a profit.

Creamer said the university is trying to work with donors, rather than investors, so all profits could go to the university.

An academic shift

The School of Technology gained a new name and distinction as the College of Technology at the meeting. The school will officially become a college July 1, 2006, said Provost Paul Gaston. This leaves time to make changes in policies and procedures.

The change to a college is a way of showing an evolution in the program, Gaston said.

“I really set certain targets for the School of Technology, and said if you made progress in your accreditations in your disciplines, I will be your ally in becoming a college,” he said.

Over nine years, the school achieved these goals, said Shirley Barton, executive dean for regional campuses. It accredited its programs, increased enrollment and acquired more majors, such as the division of applied business technology.

The aviation and aeronautics program is also very strong, and it is the only academically accredited program in Ohio, or the “birthplace of aviation,” said Isaac Nettey, senior academic program director.

This will also strengthen Kent State’s dedication to improving its technology research and studies, Gaston said, better aligning the university with Ohio’s recent emphasis on the area.

More housing for Greeks

Greek organizations found a new possible home as the trustees approved more housing to be built on campus.

There will be six Greek houses on-site, said Timothy Ziga, general counsel and secretary of ASW properties. The company will be property manager of the area but investment groups would be in charge of the 40-year leases.

The houses would be near fraternity circle by Allerton and the Student Wellness and Recreation Center, Creamer said. A connecting road would lead right by the Student Center, so students can feel independent from campus, but will still be a part.

“It’s an exciting project,” Ziga said. “It’s a win-win situation for the university and for the student organizations. It brings students back on campus. It’s an ideal location with the rec center right across the street (…) It’s within walking distance from the heart of campus.”

Students could live in these 16-person homes for about $6,500 a year, Ziga said.

The university hopes to break ground this spring and complete the first house by winter 2006, Ziga said. Greek organizations are being signed up on a first-come, first-served basis, and Sigma Nu has already expressed interest.

Contact administration reporter Rachel Abbey at [email protected].