Speaker to share DUI story with KSU Greek community

Lauren Polly

An accident caused by drinking and driving can happen to anyone and have life-long consequences associated with it. Kent State’s Inter-Greek Programming Board is trying to make students aware of these consequences by hosting a DUI speaker tonight at 8 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom.

Mark Sterner will share the story of his bad decision to drink and drive on spring break during college. The speech has won two awards nationally.

Tim Coennen, vice president of programming on the inter-Greek programming board, said Sterner was on spring break with three fraternity brothers when the accident happened. It was the last night the men were there, and they all decided to drink and not have a designated driver. Sterner was the least drunk of the four men and decided to drive.

On the way back, the men got into an accident. Three friends died, and Sterner lived.

Coennen said Sterner went to jail and is on probation until 2008.

“We feel that DUI’s are a big problem, especially on college campuses. You might not die, but it could destroy your life forever,” Coennen said.

Delta Zeta’s director of community service, Samantha Mittler, said this event is open to the entire campus. Mittler and Lambda Chi Alpha are participating in a food drive this semester and ask any student attending the event to bring a canned good for admission.

Mittler said any Greek member who attends and brings a canned food will earn points toward community service points.

Contact Greek life reporter Lauren Polly at [email protected].