Students vote in favor of taste buds at Rosie’s

Stephanie Park

Student manager Jenn Baker, junior justice studies and psychology major, dishes out samples of fries during the Elect Your Fry at Rosie’s. Students were able to vote for their favorite fry, and the winner will be served for the rest of the year.

Credit: Steve Schirra

Variety is not always the spice of life.

At least not for Rosie’s Diner.

Customers gathered by the red, white and blue decorated tables in Tri-Towers Rotunda yesterday to sample different french fries and vote on what kind they want to be served for the remainder of the academic year.

“(Dining Services) is just trying to get the kids’ favorite so we serve that the most,” said Cindy Nichols, Dining Services general manager.

Nichols, along with Dining Services Manager Linda Williams and Marketing Manager Eugene Walters, planned the event to please the majority of customers by serving the most popular fry.

Freshman exploratory major Leann Berger took the opportunity to vote and voice her opinion.

“I think it’s a good idea so (Dining Services) can get an idea of what everyone likes and wants,” Berger said.

Berger, a Wright Hall resident, said she frequently eats at Rosie’s Diner because it is convenient. Of the six options available, Berger said she voted for the Maxi Cut Brew City fry, which is slightly breaded and seasoned. The other choices were seasoned spirals, premium house, crinkle cut and cottage fries. Tater tots were also an option.

Prior to the election, Rosie’s Diner offered customers seasoned curly fries on Tuesdays and Fridays and regular fries the rest of the week, Walters said. Comment cards showed divided opinion over which fry should be served daily.

“Rosie’s seems to be the only place students have a problem with the fries,” Walters said.

Dining Services employee Jenn Baker agreed.

“We get a lot of comment cards complaining about fries,” she said.

Baker, a junior justice studies and psychology major, has worked at Rosie’s Diner for more than a year and a half.

“I think it’s a good idea so students have a choice and can’t complain,” Baker said.

Freshman finance major Mike Davidson also agreed voting was a good idea.

“I think it’s awesome,” he said. “It gives the students a voice to express their opinions.”

Walters said the winning french fry will be announced on “Fry Day,” Nov. 11.

Contact room and board reporter Stephanie Park at [email protected].