Readership program a hit with students

Sara Macho

The Collegiate Readership Program, which distributes complimentary issues of USA Today and New York Times at certain campus locations, may be more beneficial to students than campus leaders originally thought.

When the program was introduced in September, no copies were left over because students could simply remove the newspapers, without having to swipe their FlashCards, said Bill Ross, executive director of Undergraduate Student Senate.

While this may prove university students care about being informed, it resulted in the littering of old newspapers all over campus grounds.

“By using your FlashCard to get a newspaper, you’re getting the students who are truly interested in the news, rather than the student who picks up the paper and then throws it on the ground,” said Ashlei Trimm, vice president of administrative affairs for Kent Interhall Council.

But the introduction of a new policy can often bring confusion.

Ross said the new card swipes may cause students to think they are being charged.

“The card swipes were introduced so USS and Kent Interhall Council could protect undergraduate funds,” Ross said.

Ross is also working to bring select staff of USA Today and New York Times to campus next semester.

Columnists, writers and editors will visit Kent State and share their experiences with interested students. The speakers will give students a real world perspective of current events, Ross said.

Contact student politics reporter Sara Macho at [email protected].