A fight to the finish

Deanna Stevens

The soccer team battled through rough play to beat MAC-leading Western Michigan, 1-0

Kimberly Dimitroff, sophomore forward/midfielder, battles Western Michigan’s Lisa Witt for the ball during yesterday’s home game. Kent State won 1-0.

Credit: Jason Hall


Not only does this refer to what the Kent State soccer team was this weekend, it also refers to what Western Michigan is no longer in Mid-American Conference play.

Kent State finished a perfect weekend with a 1-0 victory over the Broncos at the Kent State Soccer Field yesterday.

Consistent with MAC play, the Flashes (6-6-2, 3-2-1 MAC) literally battled the league-leading Western Michigan Broncos (7-5-1, 5-1 MAC) in an emotional match.

Both teams played with intensity, but early in the second half, tempers began to flare. Shortly after a goal by Flashes’ redshirt freshman Catherine Marosszeky, which was assisted by senior Wendy Gamble, she received a yellow card for a tussle with a Broncos’ player.

“You have to realize that you’re playing soccer,” said Marosszeky about keeping the team’s composure after the incident. “You have to keep your head in the game as much as possible, and forget about what the other team is doing or the refs or anything like that.”

Marosszeky and the Bronco player earned their yellow cards by trying to untangle themselves by throwing a few elbows after falling to the ground as they both went after a ball.

The aggressive play was also an issue Kent State coach Rob Marinaro was concerned about.

“It’s something we always talk about,” Marinaro said. “We want our girls to play hard and strong, but never construe to anything that can be seen as unsportsmanlike or dirty.”

The Flashes may have scored early in the second half, but Western Michigan was not going down without a fight. The Broncos had an opportunity to tie the game with a corner kick with 38 seconds to go. Yet the kick missed high and sealed the win for the Flashes.

Kent State started its undefeated weekend against Northern Illinois on Friday. The Flashes won that game 1-0 as well.

“Our team defense was excellent all weekend long,” Marinaro said. “To get back-to-back shutouts is an accomplishment in itself.”

Once again, the Flashes were in for a struggle against the Northern Illinois Huskies (4-6-2, 2-3 MAC). Both teams went scoreless until the game-winning goal was made by senior Ashley Bohinc with four minutes left in the final half.

Bohinc commented on the Flashes’ mentality coming into the second half.

“We definitely wanted to score,” Bohinc said. “We were looking to take control of the game.”

The win was not only a confidence boost, it was important for MAC standings.

“All games are big right now,” Marinaro said. “It doesn’t matter who the opponent is. Everyone is fighting for a playoff spot.”

Wet, slippery conditions also hindered play over the weekend. Marinaro said the weather takes away from the tactical aspects and adds to the physical play.

Marinaro said he hopes his philosophy of hard work will stick with the team throughout the rest of the season.

“Hopefully, we learn that hard work will pay off,” Marinaro said. “And they will see that they outworked two very good teams and came out with a good result.”

Contact soccer reporter Deanna Stevens at [email protected].