Senate discusses LERs, Cartwright’s retirement

Amanda Garrett

Faculty Senate discussed new LER guidelines that will make it easier for students to transfer to other Ohio universities at its meeting yesterday.

The new transfer module, which is being imposed by the Ohio legislature, will require all of Ohio’s public universities to accept the same general education requirements.

The new requirements will begin next fall and will only affect incoming freshmen, Honors College Dean Larry Andrews said after the meeting.

The new requirements are being reviewed by the Faculty Senate Executive Committee and should come up for a vote at the next Senate meeting.

The new module will require all majors to take an introductory math or logic course, Andrews said.

Students also will not be allowed to use the double-counting policy if the same classes are required for the student’s major.

Senator Frank Smith said the program could stifle students’ individuality.

“I think the program is trying to make students fit into the same mold, when all our students don’t fit into a mold,” he said.

In other business, the Senate also discussed President Carol Cartwright’s impending retirement.

Faculty Senate Chair E. Thomas Dowd said there will be four faculty members on the committee to find Cartwright’s replacement.

Dowd will serve because of his position as faculty senate chair, along with two Kent campus faculty members and one regional campus faculty member. The three faculty members will be chosen at a later date, Dowd said.

In her remarks to the Senate, Cartwright said she is leaving Kent State at a good time in its history.

“There are several reasons why now is a good time to retire,” she said. “We have a new strategic enrollment plan in place, we have stability with our union contracts and strong leadership among other university administrators.”

Cartwright also said she enjoyed working with the Senate.

“It has been an extraordinary privilege to lead the university through the years,” she said. “I love the university and its people and treasure the things we accomplished together.”

Contact academic affairs reporter Amanda Garrett at [email protected].