Greeks helping victims of hurricane

Lauren Polly

Sororities at Kent State are joining in the effort to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Delta Zeta, Phi Gamma Pi and Chi Omega have specific fundraisers set up to aid sororities in the south as well as the general public.

Delta Zeta is helping the victims through the American Red Cross said Maggie Marx, senior nursing major and president of Delta Zeta. They have three chapters that were affected by the hurricane: one each at University of New Orleans, Louisiana State University and Nicholls State. No Delta Zeta member at any of these schools was injured.

“(This) is so much bigger than Delta Zeta, and that’s what we’re focusing on,” Marx said.

Delta Zeta is holding a clothing drive and selling “spirit wear” to its members, Marx said. Spirit wear will be sold within the sorority and the profits will be given to the American Red Cross.

Delta Zeta is also getting its prospective members involved, Marx said. During the second round of recruitment, the active members of Delta Zeta, along with girls going through recruitment, will make fleece blankets for hurricane victims.

Even though the sisters of Phi Gamma Pi do not have chapters down south, they are aiding people affected by the hurricane, said Nikki Hroncich, senior integrated language arts major and member of Phi Gamma Pi.

Phi Gamma Pi will host a Mary Kay party for all sororities, Hroncich said. Proceeds made at the party will be donated to hurricane victims.

Hroncich also said Phi Gamma Pi will be working with the Pizza Hut Italian Bistro in Stow to do a canned food drive. This food drive will be open to people outside the sorority as well.

“I think what we’re doing is great especially because it doesn’t specifically affect us,” Hroncich said. “It’s Greek unity and that’s what Greek life is all about, love and friendship. We are trying to extend a hand out and say, hey, we care.”

Chi Omega has a chapter at Tulane University in New Orleans, where students will not be able to return for the fall semester. These students are being relocated to other universities around the country to study for the fall.

Sarah Dick, junior marketing majoring and community service chair in Chi Omega, said there are empty rooms in the Chi Omega house that are being offered for free to sisters of Chi Omega that are being relocated to Kent for the fall semester.

Dick also said the Kent chapter is having clothing drives, placing jars in the house for sisters to donate money and selling plastic bracelets. The proceeds from these fundraisers will go to the American Red Cross or to assist sisters in need.

Nationally, Dick said, Chi Omega is trying to raise money to pay fall semester tuition for the Tulane Chi Omegas. A clothing drive will be done nationally as well.

Beth Gittons, assistant director for Fraternity and Sorority Affairs, said, “It’s a tradition to help other fraternities and sororities when events like this happen.”

Contact Greek Life reporter Lauren Polly at [email protected].