WEB EXCLUSIVE: Gas fumes cause false alarm at Student Center

The Student Center was evacuated for about 20 minutes Friday after fumes from a cooler line set off a fire alarm, said Jon Harper, assistant director of the Student Center.

The alarm went off around 12:30 p.m., Harper said. An off-campus technician was working on the cooler in the back room of Jazzman’s. After the technician left, gas from one of the lines escaped, setting off the smoke detector.

Police and fire personnel reported to the Student Center, Harper said. After the gas was found to be non-toxic, the Student Center was re-opened.

These types of situations have happened in the past, Harper said. For example, fog machines have set off smoke detectors during special events.

— Rachel Abbey