AAUP to hold elections for officer positions next week

Amanda Garrett

The American Association of University Professors is tentatively scheduled to hold elections for four of its officers next week.

The elections for first vice president, second vice president, treasurer and secretary are planned for next Friday, said Tish Soper, chair of nominations and elections. The AAUP has found candidates for all of the positions except first vice president.

If no candidate is found for first vice president by today’s deadline, nominations may be taken during the meeting, Soper said. Another option is to postpone the elections.

Professor of Library and Media Services Kara Robinson is running unopposed for her second term as secretary. Robinson, whose duties include taking minutes for meetings, said she enjoys the interaction with her colleagues.

“I’ve gained so much from the union,” she said. “One of the benefits of this job is that I get to know a lot more of my colleagues. I also get to know what is going on, which is nice.”

Treasurer Nominee and Mathematical Sciences professor Frank Smith took over for former Treasurer David Dalton this summer, Soper said. Smith will oversee an audit of the AAUP during his year-long term.

“I hope this year will be a good year,” Smith said. “It’s going to be my last year because I’m planning on retiring.”

The nominee for second vice-president is M. Rick Smith, an English professor at the Trumbull Campus. He is also running unopposed at this time, Soper said.

Contact academic affairs reporter Amanda Garrett at [email protected].