Project Sound is ready to rock this year

Calling all bands, musicians or anyone who loves music. The student organization Project Sound has a new agenda for this year.

“Before it was just musicians,” said David Kalmbach, sophomore psychology major and president of Project Sound. “We’re trying to appeal more to non-musicians and get it more balanced.”

This is the third year for the organization, which often hosts jam sessions and singer and songwriter contests. Now, the club is looking to expand.

“It’s been growing slowly,” Kalmbach said. “It started out with two people: the founder and his girlfriend. We want to really expand it.”

This semester, students can look forward to more jam sessions, a guitar contest and even an air guitar contest.

David Higgins, senior physics and math major, was a contest winner in last year’s singer and songwriter competition.

“We each played one song we wrote,” Higgins said. “My song deconstructed my own thoughts about relationships.”

Prizes in the competitions tend to be music oriented. Higgins, for example, won an acoustic guitar.

There are about 180 past members and the executive board is excited to add more this year.

“We look forward to having a more diverse group of musicians and music lovers getting involved this year,” said Mike Kessel, junior architecture major and publicity director for the organization. “Even if you don’t play an instrument, feel free to check out a meeting, jam session or contest.”

For more information on the next meeting, e-mail Nathan Hess at [email protected].

– Olivia Mihalic