Collin’s Law goes into effect in Ohio, increases penalties for hazing-related incidents

The crests of several Greek life organizations on a wall near the dining hall known as the Hub in the Kent Student Center. Ohio’s Collin’s Law, which went into effect Thursday, criminalizes hazing by any organizations, including on-campus Greek life.

Zaria Johnson Editor-in-Chief

Collin’s Law, which increases the criminal penalties for hazing incidents on college campuses, went into effect Thursday, increasing the act of hazing to a second-degree misdemeanor and making the failure to report hazing a first-degree misdemeanor. 

The bill was signed into law by Governor Mike DeWine July 6, and serves as “Ohio’s Anti Hazing Act, enacting a number of changes intended to end hazing and any cultural issues that allow hazing to persist,” according to a press release published on the governor’s website

The law was named after Collin Wiant, a student at Ohio University who died in November 2018 after a hazing incident at Ohio University.

The signing of Collin’s Law expands the definition of hazing to include “coercing another to consume alcohol or a drug of abuse,” according to the press release. The law also requires university staff and volunteers to undergo hazing prevention training programs, and expands the list of university officials who are required to report hazing.

The bill also:

• Widens the scope of those who can be punished for participating in or permitting hazing. A violation that results in serious harm is now a 3rd degree felony.

• Requires the Ohio Department of Higher Education to implement a statewide anti-hazing plan.

“Simply put – we cannot tolerate hazing,” DeWine said during the bill’s signing. “I believe Collin’s Law will help change the culture surrounding hazing and save lives.”

Zaria Johnson is editor-in-chief. Contact her at [email protected]