Flashes hope to sing another championship tune in MAC

Deanna Stevens

Remember that corny song, ‘Return of the Mack’ from the 90’s?

Right now, that corny song is the only thing on the mind of the Kent State women’s soccer team.

Well, sort of …

Kent State starts Mid-American Conference play against Ball State at home today at 4 p.m. as the Flashes begin their quest to capture their third straight MAC title.

The Flashes’ sophomore class is taking advantage of the knowledge gained in last year’s championship season and is ready to put it to use during this year’s conference play.

Four sophomores in particular are gearing up for another grueling MAC schedule. Kimberly Dimitroff, the 2004 newcomer of the year, Brittany Fracasso, Amy Kessler, an Academic all-MAC, and redshirt freshman Catharine Marosszeky spoke on the subject of MAC play.

The intensity will increase dramatically beginning this weekend. The first three opponents the Flashes face are the three MAC teams they failed to beat last year. Starting with today’s game against Ball State, who they tied 0-0 in 2004, followed by Miami, a 3-0 loss, and Central Michigan (4-0).

According to all the women, the one team the Flashes want to face is Central Michigan.

“I’m looking forward to (playing) Central Michigan,” Marosszeky said. “I remember it was one of the first games I was injured. And I remember wanting to get in there and play so bad. They came into our house and really took it to us.”

The Flashes said they need to outwork all of their opponents. Doing the little things like being faster off the ball, winning ’50/50′ balls, and having the heart and desire to win are the things the four sophomores said they need to accomplish.

“We need to play as a team and communicate as a team,” Marosszeky said. “Communication should be the 12th player out on the field, so we are able to support each other.”

Team support is one thing the Flashes are confident in. The four said they’re not only playing for another MAC championship, but also for each other.

And because these ladies have been through it once before, the sophomores advice to the freshmen is to relax and be confident in their game. But at the same time, they should be ready for a whole new level of play.

“The MAC is very competitive and you can’t let down,” Kessler said. “Also, you have to keep your head up no matter what. They notice when you’re down and they capitalize on it.”

Contact soccer reporter Deanna Stevens at [email protected].