Having a blast at the bonfire

Joanna Adolph

Mike Joseph, sophomore pre-med major, throws pies at Jeff Schooley, English graduate student and Stater editorial writer, at the Homecoming pep rally.

Credit: Jason Hall

Students crowded Centennial Greens, roasting marshmallows, dancing to DJ Lo-Key’s music and watching the marching band at the Homecoming bonfire and pep rally yesterday.

Despite Homecoming’s early date and the fact that most residence halls had elected their councils within the past two days, all the organizations provided creative activities at their tables.

Student organizations offered face painting, pin the feather on the Redhawk, temporary hair dye designs in the shape of a lightening bolt and dunks for donations. All the organizations participated in fundraising to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Funmakers Inc. from the Kent and Tallmadge area also provided inflatable sumo wrestling, sparring ring and Ironman obstacle course games, while Dining Services poked fun at Miami of Ohio’s team color by providing red marshmallows for s’mores.

“We had the marshmallows,” said Akiko Yamasaki, a student in the English as a Second Language program. “We don’t have anything like this bonfire in Japan. It’s cool. The fire’s hot, and the people everywhere are kind to me.”

President Carol Cartwright was present to light the bonfire as the band played the victory march in the background. Head football coach Doug Martin also spoke to students.

“We need you to will these guys to win,” he said. “We’re on the verge of something really special. The way the students are starting to support us has been great.”

Most students at the bonfire said they were planning on going to the game and rooting for Kent State.

“We’ll win, I think,” said Mandy Hofstetter, freshman visual communication design major. “We do have the home team advantage, and we have more spirit.”

Contact alumni affairs reporter Joanna Adolph at [email protected].