It’s not just news: ‘Daily Kent Stater’ covers campus, community and more

Meranda Watling

Once classes are in session, students will have plenty to read. Between textbooks, handouts and other required reading, they might not think they have time to read the newspaper.

But 10 minutes or so a day reading the Daily Kent Stater, which publishes Monday through Friday during the fall and spring semesters, can keep them informed about issues in their life and their community.

“I think it’s important for students to be on top of issues more important than facebook,” Editor Michelle Park said. “There are things about your health, about the world around you that students should pay more attention to. As a student newspaper, it’s our job to make sure that information falls into their hands.”

Staying connected to the university is one reason Managing Editor Lindsay Wargo thinks students can benefit from reading the Stater.

“This news is their news,” Wargo said. “They need to be up on it. A lot of what’s in our paper affects them day-to-day, especially things about the university and professors and their community.”

Wargo stresses that although staffed by students, the paper is professional.

“It’s not your normal college paper,” Wargo said. “It’s not like anything they would have seen in high school. It’s a professional paper, geared toward our college audience.”

Whereas other area papers might touch on things that affect the college community, the Stater focuses on them, not just on the news but in other areas as well, Wargo said.

For this fall the Stater has made some changes. It’s revamped and renamed the entertainment section, formerly called Pop Arts, to include more of what students care about. The new section will be called A.L.L., for Arts, Life and Leisure, and will come out on Thursdays.

Other pages were switched up to cover more diverse issues, including new Your Health and Your Culture pages.

“Those pages were changed from the pages they were before in hopes we could write about things people care about, that people find interesting, that people deal with on a daily basis,” Park said.

Aside from changes to pages in the newspaper, the Stater is always working to improve its Web site. From breaking news to Web exclusive columns and stories, Wargo said the site doesn’t just complement the stories in the paper, it adds to them.

“If you hear a rumor going around campus, check Stateronline.com,” Wargo said. “If it’s breaking news, we’ll have it. If you want the facts, check Stateronline.com.”

But online or not, it’s not just about the news. The Stater serves as a gauge for what’s important in the community. One way is through the Forum page, which is a place for students and community members to voice their opinions.

“The function of a Forum page is not to publish just the opinions of a few, or even the opinions of many,” Park said. “The Forum page works best when unpopular and popular beliefs are voiced …

“When we receive letters to the editor, and people are happy or angry, I think that means we’re doing a good thing, provoking thought processes.”

Both editors agree that suggestions are always welcome.

“I encourage people, if they see something that makes them happy, or if they see something that frustrates them, they can always give the Daily Kent Stater a call,” Park said.

Contact Summer Kent Stater managing editor and fall campus editor Meranda Watling at [email protected].

Daily Kent Stater sections

The Daily Kent Stater is published Monday through Friday during the fall and spring semesters, except holidays. Keep your eye open for these sections each week:

Mondays

For Your Information

Sports

Tuesdays

Your Health

Your Life

Wednesdays

Your Money

Sports

Thursdays

Your Culture

Your Life

A.L.L.

Fridays

Your Relationships

Sports