Academic Success Center offers assistance

Heather Beyer

In a large lecture class it’s easy to slip through the cracks.

But falling into the routine of missing class and winging tests may land students with a less than stellar grade.

That’s where the Academic Success Center comes in to help. They offer a wide range of tutoring for college classes.

The Academic Success Center has been helping students since the late ’70s. Located in the second floor of the Michael Schwartz Building, the ASC is ready and waiting to provide its services to students.

“They taught me how to learn and how to study again,” said Diane Deuschle, middle childhood education major.

They also offer writing tutoring for all English and writing-intensive courses. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, students can stop in the Michael Schwartz Center in room 217 from 5 to 7 p.m. Or they can go to the Library on Monday and Thursdays from 5 to 7 p.m.

The program also offers peer mentoring to provide assistance with study skills, time management, note taking, textbook reading, test preparation and test-taking strategies, help in foreign languages such as French, Spanish and American Sign Language and general academic support for most courses.

“My tutor went out of his way to help me deal with my test anxiety,” Deuschle said. “He scheduled extra sessions when he didn’t have to.”

Another useful tool is supplemental instruction. SI leaders work in direct correspondence with the professors and actually sit in on the course and take notes in class.

“They are the liaison between the professor and the student,” said peer mentoring supervisor Terri Stumphf.

The leaders have also taken the classes before and are familiar with the material. The leader can then assist the student with the tests and homework in the course.

“Whatever accommodates the student the best is what we offer,” said Laura Vernon, a graduate assistant for the peer mentoring program.

Computer Instruction is also available at ASC. Students can receive tutorials in Microsoft Word/Publisher, Microsoft Power Point, Microsoft Excel, PCs 101, Internet Basics 101, Computer Troubleshooting and Web Page Creation. Drop in times for computer tutoring are Fridays from noon to 2 p.m. in room 213 Michael Schwartz Center.

The ASC has a high retention rate and some students even bring their friends, said Vernon.

“When students come into the university they are overwhelmed. This (center) helps them organize,” Deuschle said.

Contact the Academic Success Center at (330) 672-3190 or stop in room 207 of MSC for more information on their programs.

Contact general assignment reporter Heather Beyer at [email protected].