USS webs students in with better technology

Sara Macho

The Undergraduate Student Senate plans to improve campus life this semester with better communication.

The group has redone its Web site to increase student involvement, said Executive Director Bill Ross, and now each senator can post personal blogs to allow for more communication among the university community.

TV-2 may also play a part in the goals of Undergraduate Student Senate.

Community affairs senator Ross Miltner will work with the television station to film all Kent City Council meetings. The meetings will air on TV-2 within one week of the scheduled meeting date.

“Of course we can’t force students to watch the broadcast, but at least it’s there,” Miltner said. “Hopefully students will become more involved.”

Miltner anticipates the meetings to broadcast by early September.

USS is looking to set up interactive meetings to discuss issues faced by neighboring students and determine what students want in university programming.

Andrew Meeks, research and development senator, plans for the first of such meetings by mid-October.

Looking beyond university and city government, USS plans to bring state legislators to campus with its Voter Registration Drive.

State Senator Kevin Coughlin will help register students outside the M.A.C. Center Sept. 22 from noon to 3 p.m., said Governmental Affairs Senator John McConnell. State Representative Kathleen Chandler will also offer registration help Sept. 23 at the same time and location.

“The goal of the program is to register as many students as possible,” McConnell said, who will be designing non-biased posters and flyers to encourage voter registration among students.

Contact student politics reporter Sara Macho at [email protected].