People in the news, a year in review

Former Kent State quarterback Josh Cribbs gives Clevelanders a sneak peak at his talents during a practice with the Cleveland Browns at Browns Stadium earlier this month.

Credit: Beth Rankin

Over the past year, Kent State students experienced highs and lows. There were “dreams” come true. But there was also disappointment and unforgetable tragedies.

Amid pre-presidential election tension, Michael Moore made a visit to campus in late October. The outspoken filmmaker spoke to a sold out M.A.C. Center at a $51,090 price tag.

Dave Holmes, Kent State broadcast journalism student, earned his way to an anchor position at ESPN by winning the station’s “Dream Job” competition in November. Holmes, who began the reality show competition with 12 others, won a one-year, $70,000 contract with ESPN and a new Mazda 6 car.

The Kent State University Press was chosen to be the sole publisher of Earnest Hemingway’s last unplublished manuscript, titled Under Kilimanjaro, at the begining of the year.

James E. Trimble made his way into the headlines when he allegedly murdered his girlfriend, her son and Kent State student Sarah Positano in late January. Trimble, 45, is scheduled to stand trial for the shooting deaths on Sept. 19.

David Ruller was approved as Kent’s new city manager in April and began working in June. Ruller replaced Lew Steinbrecher, who left in September.

For the first time in four years, the men’s basketball team did not advance to the Mid-American Conference title game. Eventual Tournament Champions Ohio defeated the Flashes 62-55 in the quarterfinal round of the tournament. The inconsistent team closed out the season with a loss in the first round of the National Invitational Tournament.

Meanwhile the women’s basketball team finished the season in dramatic fashion. Bowling Green and the Flashes traded shots in the second half of the MAC Tournament championship game, but Kent State never overtook the Falcons and lost 81-75. Junior forward Lindsay Shearer seemingly did about everything humanly possible in a 44-point-MAC Tournament record effort to put her team in place to win, but the Flashes fell to a balanced Bowling Green attack.

But amid successes, it was a particularly sad year. More than 20 former students, faculty and staff members died throughout the course of the 2004-2005 school year. In April, a memorial service was held for those who died throughout the year.

“It’s been a very heavy burden this year and challenging to help everyone cope with this loss,” President Carol Cartwright said at the service.

Joshua Cribbs, former Kent State quarterback, was signed by the Cleveland Browns as an undrafted-rookie-free agent in April. In four years at Kent State, Cribbs rewrote the Flashes’ record books. In two preseason games with the Browns, Cribbs, now playing at wide reciever and with special teams, is averaging 35.3 yards per kick return. Several other former Kent State players, including linebacker Eric Maul and offensive lineman Chad Bandiera, are fighting for NFL roster spots.